Who we are
Carpathian Wetland Initiative is a Ramsar regional initiative, whose mission is to ensure and support the effective conservation and wise use of wetlands in the Carpathian region and beyond, through local, national, regional and international activities.
The mission of the CWI is to contribute to the implementation of the Memorandum of Cooperation between the Convention on Wetlands (Ramsar Convention) and UNEP Interim Secretariat of the Carpathian Convention (UNEP Vienna ISCC) signed on 13 December 2006 in Kyiv, Ukraine. The CWI will facilitate collaboration between the two Conventions and its Parties in their efforts in conservation and wise use of wetlands in the Carpathian region and beyond, through local, national, regional and international activities.
Participating countries in CWI
What we do
The CWI facilitates collaboration between the Convention on Wetlands (Ramsar Convention) and UNEP Interim Secretariat of the Carpathian Convention through following main objectives:
- promotion of and participation in the implementation of the Ramsar and Carpathian Conventions objectives in the Carpathians
- facilitation of effective cooperation between the environmental, water management and other relevant sectors
- development of specific wetland restoration projects in major Carpathian river catchments, projects on information, education and training activities and projects focused widely on wetland ecosystems to transfer knowledge and expertise to key conservation actors in order to reinforce Carpathian wetland management
- development and reinforcement of the capacities in areas involving wetland management, especially of sites of international importance, and capacities in raising public awareness on the role of wetland services
- organisation of information campaigns, education and training activities to deepen the knowledge of wetlands and their role and function in the landscape
- emphasising the importance and value of the transboundary wetland ecosystems and development of common objectives and principles of their management and wise use
- to collaborate with other international initiatives, projects and networks in the region, and globally